Research Planning Committee
Applied research development at our institution is guided by the Research Planning Committee. It is chaired by the Vice-President Academics and Research.
- Vice-President Academic and Research, Chair
- Academic Deans
- Director of Research & Innovation
- Research Facilitator
- Chairperson Representative(s)
- ASA President (or delegate)
- Chair of the Ethics Review Board
- One Faculty Member plus an alternate from each School (two-year term)
- One full-time GPRC employee actively engaged in research (two-year term)
- One Employee Association Member (two-year term)
- One Alberta Union of Provincial Employee Member (two-year term)
- One Student Representative (one-year term)
- Chair of the Animal Care Committee (two-year term)
- One Communications representative (two-year term)
Current Terms of Reference
|Membership Nominated by:
||Vice-President Academic and Research
|Membership Approved by:
||Standing Committee of Academic Council
|Terms of Reference Approved by:
|Terms of Reference Review
||Every two years
Ensure Research Planning Committee renewal while balancing consistent representation from defined stakeholder groups.
Create a positive environment within the Committee and the institution to ensure ongoing dialogue about applied research. This dialogue includes discussion on topics such as:
- Establish, review and maintain Institutional Research policy and procedures. This
- Defining terms relevant to applied research
- Developing, reviewing and updating policy
- Developing a process to determine which institutional applied research initiatives to advance and promote to Tri-Council;
- Making recommendations related to infrastructure for applied research
Facilitate communication and information sharing regarding ongoing and emerging
applied research projects so as to stimulate interest, promote a positive culture for applied research, and create synergies where opportunities emerge.
When requested, review the (draft) annual update to the Institutional Research Plan
as brought forward by the Director of Research & Innovation, and provide comments and recommendations for
consideration as the Director prepares the Institutional Research Goals for inclusion within our institution's
Comprehensive Institutional Plan.
Provide support and advocacy for applied research.
Ensure relevant training is available to our faculty and staff. This may include:
- What is (applied) research?
- What are the purposes and priorities of applied research at GPRC?
- What is the role of the institution, departments and other constituents or stakeholders in supporting research and researchers?
- How might research and research activities be integrated into student experiences and student learning at
- How do we balance and integrate research and instruction?
- Relevant institutional research policies, guidelines and processes
- Managing applied research (from idea, through funding, implementation and publication of findings)
- Responsible conduct of research
For information about the Research Planning Committee, please contact: